Tuesday, November 11, 2008

This is my Christianity

I recently wrote of my displeasure with certain positions taken by my fellow Christians. I realized today that I had not stated what my core beliefs as a Christian and as a fellow human being in this journey we call life are. In looking at my oldest daughter's Facebook page realizing that she has a strong Christian faith that she freely expresses in both words and deeds. This made me extremely proud of the beautiful, thoughtful young woman she is becoming so I must be doing something correct as her dad. It also made me realize that even though my faith has brought me through some extremely difficult and trying times while overcoming some mountainous barriers placed in my life, I have not freely expressed this even to my children. This is my belief which also tells me that I MUST NOT judge anyone else nor to force my beliefs on anyone since I am by far not a perfect person.

This is only the beginning of my conversation of my beliefs as a Christian. I believe as a Christian I have one guiding principle "To love your neighbor as thy self" and further "To love each other" which is the greatest commandments above ANY other. Yes, I recognize what other Christians say that Jesus is my Lord and Savior and I believe this is the way to heaven but Jesus taught us as Christians that this is a choice we make as individuals not to be forced on others through government dictate or other type of pressure or force. He stated it better than I ever could with the following Biblical lesson:

"We know that we have passed from death to life because we love one another. Whoever does not love abides in death. All who hate a brother or sister are murderers, and you know that murderers do not have eternal life abiding in them. We know love by this, that he laid down his life for us--and we ought to lay down our lives for one another. How does God's love abide in anyone who has the world's goods and sees a brother or sister in need and yet refuses help? Little children, let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action. And by this we will know that we are from the truth and will reassure our hearts before him." -1 John 3:14-19 (NRSV)

This is what I am driven to achieve with my life and thus leave a better world for my daughters. Be well and happy!

Jeff Lester

1 comment:

Gary said...

Jeff, It is nice to hear how your view your own Christian faith. My personal Christian view follows closely with yours. I believe all Christians should follow their hearts and shape their faith from their personal relationship with Christ.

I also respect the faith of all my fellow human beings on this earth and appreciate their respect in return; Christains and Non Christians alike.

Facebook Badge